Saturday 20 April 2013

Reflections on oral presentation


First of all, I must thank Gail and Baowen for the awesome research project experience, and I am really glad that everything when on smoothly. Even though I blank out after speaking for two minutes, I really gained a lot from this experience. Not only have I obtained essential tips for speech preparation, but also gained beneficial insights to oral presentation.

For speech preparation, I must confess that this is the first time I scripted out my whole speech. In the past, I will usually write down the main points, and put the points together using my “broken” English. This time round, since I am taking a language module, I thought that should draft it out to ensure the fluency.  I did manage to “swallow” down my script and managed to regurgitate the facts during the pre-presentation trails. However, I was too nervous and the words choked me during the presentation. After the presentation and Brad’s debrief, I realized that I focused too much on my language and neglected the key points for oral presentation. In fact, I should have presented with my passion and understanding for the project, instead of harping over the “language fluency”. 

In addition, like Dalai Lama, he may not speak proper English, but he is able to fluently advocate "a secular approach to compassion" at Standford University.


From both the presentation experience and Dalai Lama, I learnt that presentation fluency is based on our understanding of the project, while articulation of thoughts is just an add-on feature which prefects the oral presentation. 

As for oral presentation, presentation slides are important visual-aid which act like a double-edged sword. Good slides help in the delivery of thoughts, while bad slides turn audience off. I started off drafting my speech without slides, as I tend to over-rely on the slides. Like what Brad has previously said “It will be good if everyone’s attention is on you “. And so, I practiced my speech without the slides. After several practices, I realized that a summary slide might help to summarize my main points. Then, I incorporated a slide, but I really regretted having a summary slide, as it was too content-heavy and everyone feedback that it turns audience off. Nonetheless, my group mates and I have other slides and figures which are clear and effective. In future, I will minimize words on the slides and add on more demonstrative figures which will aid, instead of hinder, the delivery of my speech.

Furthermore, confidence is crucial for all persuasive presentation. For both school and work, it is inevitable for us to deliver persuasive presentations. After the two sessions of oral presentation, I noticed that confident speakers tend to be more persuasive.  Additionally, I thought everyone had done a very good job in “selling” their ideas.Therefore, in the future, I aim to become a convincing speaker who can present my results/project confidently and fluently to my audience.

Even though I sobbed after the presentation, I am neither traumatized nor intimidated. Instead, I will learn from my mistakes, absorb the essence and eventually become a confident speaker who is able to deliver a fluent and persuasive speech. 

Thankyou for reading my blogpost J

7 comments:

  1. Hi Phyllis!

    Before my final oral presentation, I've always prepared a script and memorized it before presenting. This is because I don't have a very strong command for English, and I am unable to just speak from my mind without repeating my words often.

    After the first session of presentation, Brad gave us an insight into the pros and cons of presenting with and without scripts. A danger of memorizing a script is that you might blank out and forget the things you want to say. Also, since I've worked on this project right from the start, I should know the contents well. Hence, for the final presentation, I decided to go without a script. Or rather, I wrote a script to help me find the words that I want to say, but I didn't memorize it this time. Although I didn't think that my presentation was to my expectation, but I think it's a start!

    So Phyllis, let's work harder on our presentation skills and we'll be confident presenters in no time! (:

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Samantha:)

      I think you did a great job in your final OP. I really can sense your sincerity during your presentation. And yes, I will learn from my mistake and move on to be come a better presenter!

      Thanks for your valuable feedback! Good luck for your upcoming exams. See you around :)

      Cheers,

      Phyllis

      Delete
  2. Hi Phyllis,

    This OP has definitely become a lesson for each and every one of us. I am glad that you can look back at your little hiccup so positively and learn from the experience. Our class have many great speakers and it is true that we can learn from them and become better presenter. I never like to over-practiced as I am worried that I may end up sounding like a tape recorder. Nonetheless, it is a great way to boost your confidence and to internalise the content.

    I like your point about visual aid being a double-edged sword. I always feel the need to have a heavy slide to cater to those more visual than audio so I guess we must learn how to strike a balance and make our slides more friendly.

    I will looking forward to you being a more confident public speaker!

    Cheers,
    Xiao Wei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Xiaowei,

      Thank you for your valuable tips to slides preparation and oral presentation. I will adjust my speech and slides according to my target audience :)

      You have seen my presentation in the past, and you know that I am never a confident speaker. I must confess that I am always afraid of being mocked for the bad English. Hence, I seldom speak or write.

      However, after taking this module,I changed my mindset. I should not think that everyone is there to judge. Instead, I should accept other's criticism and improve accordingly. Ultimately, I hope to become an impressive speaker. For the start, I should fake it till I become it.

      Good luck for your exams! See you tomorrow!!:D

      Delete
  3. Hi Phyllis,

    Can't thank you enough for the hard work you and Gail put into this project. :)

    I think you have really really practiced for the OP, and it was really a pity that you forgot the contents and focused too much on delivering the content in fluent English. with more presentation experiences in future, I am sure that you will be able to figure out your strengths and capitalise on them. I am confident that you will be able to become a good speaker with more exposure. :)

    And i agree with Xiao Wei, I'm glad that you are able to look at the trip-up in a positive light. All of us learn from mistakes, and that is was helps us to grow. Let's work on becoming good presenters together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baowen,

      I really enjoyed working with you and Gail on this project. Really love this Umbrella Vending Machine from the bottom of my heart! Nowadays, whenever I am caught in the rain, UVM will be the first thing which pop into my mind. How I wish we can sell this idea to the real investors!

      This final OP is really a precious learning experience for me, thank you for comforting me when I am down.

      Good luck for your FINAL exam!! All the best for your future job!! See you around:D

      Cheers,

      Phyllis

      Delete
  4. Hi Phyllis,

    Here's a post from me albeit a belated one!
    I was rooting for you throughout when you blanked out and I thought that you did great holding up a strong front to maintain that level of professionalism when presenting in front a group of 'stakeholders':).

    I guess it was a great learning experience for all of us as many of us have the tendency to memorise scripts word for word for fear of making language blunders. While I still believe that a script is essential, perhaps we could try to modify the script such that it is filled with key points and cue words! I like your example about Dalai Lama. It's really apt, and he is truly an inspiration.

    All the best! Hope to see you around in school!:)

    Cheers,
    Jiayi

    ReplyDelete